A Study to Assess the Knowledge on Iron Deficiency Anemia among Reproductive Age Group (20-45 Year) Women in Selected Rural Area of Lucknow
Young Nurses Journal of Research. October 2021, 1(1), 24-28
Laxmi Shukla1,Dimpal Singh2,Ranjeet Kumar2, Sabiya Khatoon2, Saraswati Sah2, Saumya Singh2, Shaheen Bano2, Shekhar Tiwari2
1 Associate Professor, St. Mary's College of Nursing-Lucknow
2 Bsc Nursing Interns, St. Mary's College of Nursing- Lucknow
View PDF | View Full Article
Background of the study: Anemia continues to be a major public health problem in developing countries including India. It is the most common cause of malnutrition in the world and is the eighth leading cause of diseases in girls and women in developing counties. About one third of the global population is anemic (WHO 2010) . Knowledge regarding the causes, prevention and management of iron deficiency among reproductive age women plays an important role in reducing the mortality and morbidity rates. The aim of this study is to assess the knowledge regarding iron deficiency anemia among reproductive age group women.
Methodology: By using descriptive survey design, 50 women who met the criteria were selected by purposive sampling technique. Structured questionnaire was used to gather the data Data were analyzed by descriptive and inferential statistics.
Results: Findings shows that 6% of reproductive age group women had inadequate level of knowledge regarding anemia, 72% had moderate level of knowledge and 22% of them had adequate level of knowledge.
Conclusion: Overall findings of this study revealed that knowledge on iron deficiency anemia was inadequate among reproductive age group women. There is a need to improve the health care services, facilities and more importantly knowledge among the women on topics related to anemia and its prevention.
Keywords: Anemia, Iron Deficiency, Knowledge, Reproductive age group women
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- Acharya S, Biswas S. Estimation of Haemoglobin Status of Farm Women: A Socio-Economic and Agro-Ecological Perception [Internet]. Researchgate. 2014 [Cited 21 August 2021]. Available From: Researchgate
- Habeeb S. Right to Health - Anemia in Obstetrics [Internet]. Opastonline.Com. 2018 [Cited 21 August 2021]. Available From: Opastonline.
- Mamta M, Devi L. Prevalence of Anemia and Knowledge Regarding Anemia Among Reproductive Age Women. Iosr Journal of Nursing and Health Science. 2014;3(2):54-60. Available From: Crossref
- Rohisha Ik, Jose Tt, Chakrabarty J. Prevalence of Anemia Among Tribal Women. J Family Med Prim Care. 2019 Jan;8(1):145-147.Pmid: 30911496; Pmcid: Pmc6396609. Crossref
- Amna Habib, Muhammad Afzal, Kausar Parveen, Muhammad Hussain Syed Amir Gilani4.Knowledge, Attitude and Practices of Pregnant Women Regarding Iron Deficiency Anemia in a Rural Area of Lahore, 2018 Volume 50: 58 -62
- Nadia H.Ahamed, Safaa A.M. Kotb, Rabaa. H Hassanen Knowledge and Attitude of Pregnant Women About Iron Deficiency Anemia in Assist University Women Health Hospital, Egypt, E- Issn: 2320–1959.P-(May-June .2018), Volume 7, Pp 49-58:
- Shahzad S, Islam K, Azhar S, Fiza S, Ahmed W, Murtaza Z. Impact of Knowledge, Attitude and Practice on Iron Deficiency Anaemia Status Among Females of Reproductive Age Group (20-21-Year-Old) Studying in Government Home Economics College Lahore, Pakistan. Int Arch Biomed Clin Res [Internet]. 2017dec.20 [Cited 2021aug.21];3(4):31-6.
- Teshale A, Tesema G, Worku M, Yeshaw Y, Tessema Z. Anemia and Its Associated Factors Among Women of Reproductive Age in Eastern Africa: A Multilevel Mixed-Effects Generalized Linear Model. Plos One. 2020;15(9): E0238957.
- Myrada & St. John’s Medical College. Study of Anaemia Prevention and Control Among Adolescent Girls and Pregnant Women in Three Districts of Karnataka, India; 2010
- Sry Suryani Widjaja, Sanny Tan, Level of Knowledge in Reproductive-Age-Women About Iron-Deficiency Anemia and Its Relationship Between Age, Education and Occupation at Teladan Health Care Centre Medan, 2017: Volume 10, No.15, Pp 122-12
- Marwan O. Jalambo, Ihab A. Naser, 1razinah Sharif and Norimah A. Karim. Knowledge, Attitude and Practices of Iron Deficient and Iron Deficient Anaemic Adolescents. Asian Journal of Clinical Nutrition Dec 15, 2016: Pp 165-68; Crossref
- D’souza Pjj. Knowledge And Self-Reported Practices on Prevention of Iron Deficiency Anemia Among Women of Reproductive Age in Rural Area. Int J of Adv in Sci Res [Internet]. 2015 Aug. 30 [Cited 2021 Aug. 21];1(7):289-92. Crossref
- R S, Sivasubramanian L, Grandhe N, Reddy K. Ron Deficiency Anemia in Women: Assessment of Knowledge, Attitude and Practice of Women in Chittoor District [Internet]. Researchgate. 2019 [Cited 21 August 2021]. Available From: Researchgate